Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Stubborn Beauty*


(*I'm channeling my inner 23 year old hipster today)


This week we've had what our weather radio terms an "unsettled weather pattern". I'm not sure what meteorologists mean by this term, but to me it means an ever-changing sky, a sky that breathes and heaves and thumps and sparks and, sometimes, practically dances across the horizon, wind gusts that are so specific you can step into them as if you are wading a stream, darkness at noon, walls of rain, sudden epiphanies of sun.



Driving back and forth the state has been a bit of a treat these days. Okay, perhaps this is just a bit of exaggeration.... But I love watching the shifting clouds and colors on the roadway before me, moving in and out of weather, searching out the storm in one distant spot on a big, big horizon.



I don't believe that this weather is native to New England. To me, it seems vaguely southern or perhaps western, even, where the sweep and spanse of the land so complements a vitality of sky and wind.



I've lived in many different parts of the country and in every place, people say "If you don't like the weather, just stick around a minute an' it'll change." Not usually true, that one. But lately, Colrain's usually stubborn and stolid weather has taken flights of fancy!

No comments: