Sunday, May 29, 2011

So Sweet!



Thanks to Kelly at Writing in the Margins, Bursting at the Seams for this lovely award. Check out her blog-- there's a lot of wisdom there.

So.... quick 7 things about myself:

1) We are having a fox predation problem again this year-- miserable for all of us, except the dogs who LOVE being called upon to patrol the borders in the early mornings.

2) Due to the fox predation, we have 7 orphaned chicks in a brooder on our porch. I took them to work for a few weeks and now they are home-- with cool new student-given names like "Mohawk", "Oreo" and "Hawkeye"



3) I worry about these chicks much more than usual... because they have cool student-given names and I would hate to have to tell the kids that something bad happened.

4) Our 15 turkey poults are arriving on June 15th. I am trying to pony up a little enthusiasm but...

5) I hate to admit this but I am feeling a little done with farming. The responsibility feels more burden and less joy lately. Especially as the kids are involved in all sorts of other activities (baseball, hip hop dance, clarinet, science club, art and writing groups) and I too am deep in novel revisions.

6) Our above ground pool was flattened by heavy snowfall this winter. I am not much of a swimmer (The pool-- which came with the house-- seemed a lot of money and trouble and upkeep to me, but the rest of the family is bummed)

7) I have about 75 singular socks on the laundry room table. Years worth of missing socks. NO idea how this happens. Where do those matches go?

I'm passing this award on to these cool blogs:

Allie at Visualize Industrial Collapse. Allie is an ambitious farmer who many years ago took in our first two lambs. Check out her amazing yarn!

Amateur Yankee. Beautiful photos and thoughtful posts from Vermont

Razzberry Corner: Great and farmy. I don't have much love for our own gunea fowl, but I love reading about the Razzberry Corner crew

Chai Chai at Homestead...From Scratch who has been such a wonderful commenter over the years (yes, years!) and has a terrific farmy blog too

Christy of Whistling Wind Farm who started off with "Farm Dreams" and now has the whole kit n' caboodle

And Lisa who has a fabulous farm up in NH.

6 comments:

Razzberry Corner said...

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!! It's funny, I don't consider myself farmy!!! I laughed when I read that! But it's true!!! 3 years ago I would have never considered even talking about chickens or guineas. One day I want to follow my dream and be a writer. Or a baker. But I NEVER had a dream to live on a farm! And here I am...

I totally understand #5. I just have no time anymore.

Maybe I could borrow one of the dogs mentioned in #1 to assist with monster patrol. I bet a dog would cure our monster problem since it happens very close to the house.

~Lynn

Chai Chai said...

Thank you for the award and the compliment. Your blog was actually the first one I ever read, when I found it I went back and read it from the beginning. It opened a whole new world to me so I just want to take this opportunity to thank you.

I will be interested to read about how the turkeys work out as I am getting a few this fall myself!

Unknown said...

Loved reading the seven facts. That is what is so much fun about passing awards along. Liked your other blog so much that I am following here as well. Donna
http://mylife-in-stories.blogspot.com

Amateur Yankee said...

Thank you so much for including me in your list! Love and luck to the orphaned chicks. And I too have a zillion single socks - I don't know if the dogs or the laundry machine eats them.

Shonya said...

oh yes, I understand the responsibility!! http://homestead-for-sale.blogspot.com/

Brooklyn Homes For Sale said...

Generally here we have a pool of information on internet but find such relevant and fruitful knowledge on high compitition is really difficult. This blog really beautifully written and I must admit I find it insightful to read your blogging. Keep up the good work.