Wednesday, February 23, 2011

In the Land of Poo

It's February Vacation (I believe this is a special New England Holiday, sort of a President's day/let's-not-bust-the-school-budget-on-heating-oil thing) and the kids and I have been keeping busy.

We have been to the library, done wood crafts, sand art, baking, Ice Skating and a Museum. And we have watched a few DVDs. (I try to limit the kids' "screen time", but this is increasingly like trying to hold back the ocean with a spatula.)

One of the DVDs we watched was Nanny McPhee Returns. In it, a pair of "sophisticated" city cousins are dropped off to stay with their poor, dirty, farming kin.



The cousins' car pulls into the farmyard, which is a typical, if somewhat exaggerated slop of mud and um, waste, and the boy grimaces, turns to his sister and says:

"We are in the land of poo. Duck poo, cow poo, goat poo..."

Image12


Well we here on Maggie's farm got a kick out of that.

Farming is inextricably tied to "poo". Poo in infinite variety, Poo that seems barely possible. Poo that has poo.

I often wonder what our suburban and urban visitors think of the free-ranging chicken#**&! strewn about the yard and the barn and (often) the porch



the sheep "fertilizing" away in the fields



the gummy newborn lamb butts that often need wiping (don't ask...). The three dogs alone create quite a stink (well, yes, the pun WAS intended).

I imagine we might indeed seem to be living in the Land of Poo.


But, then, poo is one of the inevitabilities of life. It happens. And on a farm, as I've said, it happens a lot.

I know from experience that you can shield yourself from from much of this poo if you live in cleaner, less animal prone places--especially if you don't have pets or young children. But perhaps moving to the country helped us come to terms with poo as much as it did with meat-eating and winter. We simply had no choice.

Whatever the case, my kids have been quoting Nanny McPhee with glee:

One will say: "Greetings, O covered-in-poo people. Do you speak English? "
And another will add "Yes, poo-man, we have come from far away, from the land of soap and indoor toilets!"

And then, stepping out into the poo-strewn snow of Maggie's farm, they will laugh and laugh and laugh.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes - this we love about our western, MA home. I am so used to chicken poo it has become second nature to scrape it off my shoes or even my hand without reaction. When I give eggs to people and haven't had a chance to clearn them they are sometimes surprised to learn that eggs come out the same vent as the poo - so they often cross paths. Visitors to my house too are probably grossed out that we let the hens hang out in the garage where they of course -can't help but poo. I am with you on the poo and I love my animals so its okay.

yujiayao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
scarves said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Piyali said...

http://tinyurl.com/chickendiapers
Don't know if they have them for sheep though!
:D

Piyali said...

Chicken poo smells so cozy to me now that we have our own poopy girls.

Perri said...

Those chicken diapers are hilarious! Thanks for sharing!

Emily Lackey said...

Love the comparison of limiting TV time to holding back the ocean with a spatula!